As you probably know, WordPress offers a weekly writing challenge. I thought I might try it out, because hey it’s a blog post and they hang that “FP” carrot over your head so effectively and I am not obsessed about that at all. Anyway, I need some help deciding what to do. Here is the challenge:
So this week, we challenge you to step outside your blogging box and try something totally different:
- If you normally write non-fiction, try fiction.
- If you normally write fiction, try poetry.
- If you normally post photos, try writing.
- If you normally just write, try including photos.
Well, I write posts with photos and writing, so nothing different there. My fiction’s too long to post, and my poetry? Hahahahaha. Once they made me write a poem at a church ladies’ retreat. They thought I’d be great what with my English degrees. Here is what I came up with:
Roses are Red / Violets are Blue / Jesus is great / And so are You.
Fabulous, I know. On the plus side, they never asked me to write poetry again. Anyway, they do offer some more suggestions below. I added my own commentary to it:
Need a little more guidance? Check out these post types, and pick one. Don’t opt for something that seems immediately doable; go with something you’ll have to work at a bit:
- That’s pretty much every post.
- Short fiction
- I don’t write short fiction. Fiction yes, but not short. Some of my blog posts could count as “creative nonfiction” which I define as making up facts whenever they suit me to prevent actual research. Example: Canada is our largest state.
- A day in the life
- How bored do you want to get?
- Instructions on doing/making something
- I could do a cooking post. Those are popular. But I’m not sure if someone really wants to read the back of a “Hamburger Helper” box.
- Top ten lists
- I’ve written lists of stuff I hate before. I don’t remember if there were ten of them or not.
- An open letter
- I wrote an open letter to WordPress, but they never wrote back. Hmmph.
- An explanation of a topic you know a lot about
- I know a lot about a lot of stupid, useless stuff. I can’t think of anything at the moment, though, because 50 Shades has wiped my mind. Wait, I know about 50 Shades! That’s so sad!
- A walk down memory lane
- This way you can be bored by my past too.
- A rant
- Again, pretty much every post.
- News/current event analysis
- Ack, then I would have to watch the news. I’d rather watch The Exorcist than any speech by Romney or his sidekick Ryan.
- A book, movie, or music review
- I’ve done book reviews. God, have I done book reviews. But not movie or music yet. I love writing reviews, though, so I guess that’s not stepping out of my comfort zone.
Yeah, so anyway, what do you think? What would be out of my “comfort zone”? Do I have a “comfort zone”? If so, why would I want to leave it? I’m just so confused. I ask you Freshly Freshly Pressed peoples for assistance, for you are the chosen ones. And I’m sure you know why they chose the particular posts they chose rather than the millions of other wonderful posts you have written before. Not like there is anything random about it at all.
Any suggestions? If so, feel free to use the comment section below. Or don’t. See if I care.
P.S. Yes I do care. Comments please. Or I’ll keep drawing carrots. I might even write a carrot poem.